Thursday, August 14, 2008

Take Care of Yourself

This is a portion of a post originally published July 12, 2005

Pro 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh.
How many times has FlyLady said to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your family? I've heard other Christians dismiss FlyLady's acronym of Finally Loving Yourself as the result of the Me generation; everything is about taking care of #1. Well, I do happen to believe that many people seek to take care of their own needs first, including many wives and mothers, to the detriment of their families. I also believe that my calling in life is to take care of my husband, children, and home. I do believe that Jesus taught putting others first, denying myself in order to serve them. All my life I've been taught that putting others first means ignoring myself. However, I've come to see that if I don't take care of myself that I won't be able to take care of my family. There's a fine line here. If I don't eat right, I'll gain weight, my diabetes will get out of control, and I'll be too sick to care for my family before I'm 45. If I don't get enough rest, I'm too cranky to be patient with my children, and I hurt our relationship by being short with them. If I don't take a couple of hours occasionally, with my husband's blessing, to do something by myself to recharge my emotional batteries, I get overwhelmed and discouraged, which affects how well I care for my family. So there is merit in taking care of ourselves; the very families we are trying to serve will be hurt if we don't. We'll be living the verse above - troubling our own flesh. So be good to yourself, not putting yourself first for selfish reasons, but to make sure you're able to care for your family, with God's help and blessing. Even Jesus and his disciples took times apart to refresh!

Photo by worak

2 comments:

Debbie J. said...

This is a very important lesson and you are absolutely right. We have to have the energy to take care of others. We have to remember that we are human and not superwomen!

Susan said...

I agree, Debbie! No matter how hard we try, and how good we get at juggling everything, it all comes down to taking care of ourselves to be able to care for others, doesn't it?!

Take care! ;)