Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Prison

I'm not one who likes to confess things, but most of the time, confession is the best thing to do. And so I will confess to you tonight . . . I have been in prison. In prison?! Yes . . . I was imprisoned by my laundry. And it was all my fault.

It started last week, when I dutifully washed and dried our clothes, but I neglected to put them away (are you surprised?). I put them in a nice pile on my cedar chest in our bedroom. Then yesterday I washed another load, and today another. But I also neglected to put those away! I just kept putting it off. I'd walk into our bedroom, see that mountain pile of clothes, and groan to myself that I really needed to get those things ironed and put away. Ironed, because I hadn't put them away to start with.

So this evening, after putting it off all day, I finally went upstairs to my bedroom to iron clothes. I tried to encourage myself by telling myself it would only take an hour. Myself underestimated. It took an hour and 45 minutes. That entire hour and 45 minutes I was telling myself that I wouldn't be in this position if I'd put those clothes away when they came out of the dryer. I could have been downstairs playing in my cardmaking papers, or blogging to you, or reading, or watching TV . . . any number of things, but instead I was in laundry prison.

It all reminded me of a chapter in a book I have by a sweet Christian lady named Marlene Evans. The book is called Help, Lord! They Call Me Mom. In Chapter 9, Mrs. Evans asks, "When Will You Be in Prison?" She asserts that we are all in prison, but we decide whether the yoke we wear is of wood or iron. Here are some examples she gave of choosing which yoke we will bear:

If I put myself in prison at the table, I'll be free at the dress shop; if I'm free at the table, I'll be in prison at the dress shop!

If I put myself in prison as I walk the aisles of the grocery store, I'll be free at the checkout; if I'm free in the aisles, I'll be in prison at the checkout!

If I put myself in prison by getting the amount of sleep it takes for me to function the next day, I'll be free for the next day's activities; if I'm free at bedtime, I'll be in prison during the next day's activities!

It's up to you!
When do you want to put yourself in prison?
When do you want to be free?


I think you get the idea here! If I put myself in prison on laundry day, I'm free in my evenings; if I'm free on laundry day, I put myself in prison in the evening - when I'd rather be relaxing and having a good time with my family!

But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
~~ I Corinthians 9:27


We did have a short version of family night tonight. Wes took Beth out for a mocha and dessert. After they got home and Beth got a bath, we played a quick couple of rounds of Spoons.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Those are great thoughts! Laundry prison happens to me, too! I've ironed for over 3 hours in a day's time! It just piles up, and up, and up...and then pretty soon there's nothing in the closet!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Well you did it I now have to break out and put the laundry I am looking at away. I can't say iron but after bringing it home 12 miles from the laundramat I should get put away today before any thing else gets done. Its been a few days since I washed.
Enlighten me what is "spoons"?

Mrs.T said...

Thanks for those helpful thoughts about prison! I was in "ironing prison" for years with an overflowing ironing basket all the time. Once I finally got it under control, I vowed to never let it happen again. It *has* never become that bad again, but it only takes one basketful of laundry not dealt with immediately after removal from the dryer to start me down that path back to prison.

Glad you could have family night even in an abbreviated version! Something is always better than nothing!

'Berta said...

Those are thought provoking words. When I get behind in ironing or mending, I listen to Flylady on my computer while I work away. Seems like the time flies by so smoothly, I hardly realize that I've finished my tasks.

Happymama said...

I am in laundry prison this very moment, Susan so I can relate to this very well.

I'll be rising early in the morning to tackle this pile. It's times like these I wish laundry mats were free. LOL

~Kristi

Julie Fink said...

Hi Susan! I'm going to "requote" what you quoted from Mrs. Evans' book to my Sunday School class this Sunday. I know they will appreciate the wisdom found in the play on words. Julie