Monday, September 04, 2006

Clearing Out the Wallet

Laura at I'm An Organizing Junkie issued a challenge to clear out our wallets . . . and then turn to that purse and get it straightened out too. I saw her challenge earlier this evening, and then decided to just do it while I was waiting for my boys to get home from a baseball game.

I started with my wallet - something small. The only money I have is 4 American dollars, which do me no good here. I did put them back in, though, because we go down to the States every now and then, and I like to have a little money to buy a Coke or something. I found some Monopoly money in my change section; I had used it as an object lesson during a Thursday-night lesson a few months ago. I also found various receipts from the 2 years we've been here in Canada (thank goodness, nothing from before we moved!), and my Sears Smile Savers Club card that expired over a year ago. I removed a few outdated pictures, and installed all our medical cards in their place. I have a lot of credit cards, but I don't use them all. Some are American cards, some Canadian, and I use different ones for different things - all at my husband's discretion, I might add. I'm not a card-crazy gal who runs up the credit cards behind her husband's back! That has got to be one of the most damaging things a woman can do to her relationship with her husband, in my opinion. That won't cost you anything - it was free advice! ;)

So after I emptied my wallet, I turned to my purse. There was the paperwork for my jewelry that I had cleaned the last time I went to the US! So I put that back in the file cabinet. The rest of the junk in there was receipts and grocery lists. I'm good at making the lists and keeping track of my spending on them at the store, but I'm not so good at throwing them away.

One thing I did years ago was buy a little cosmetic bag for about $3.00 at Wal-Mart and put all my little girly things I carry in it - that corrals all the chap stick, little hand creams, lipsticks, hand sanitizer, and a small comb that I carry in my purse, keeping them from cluttering up in the bottom of my purse. I think that's the best thing I've ever done to control the clutter in my purse! All I have in my big bag of a purse is my cosmetic bag, my wallet, a couple of pens, my cell phone, and my keys.

Thanks for the challenge, Laura!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great challenge! Your wallet must be bigger than mine! I couldn't have that much stuff in mine...but nonetheless, it was time for a good cleaning out of wallet and purse alike! Too much stuff in both!

org junkie said...

Great job! I love hearing about all the "finds" in the wallets. I get a good chuckle out of it. Thanks for sharing that. Laura