Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Tossing Around the Routine

My dear, sweet husband wants to toss around our routine today. He wants to eat supper at lunch time, then go play Putt Putt for the afternoon! So today I'm having to think backwards a bit. It's only 10:45, but I'm about to go and begin supper preparations.

Years ago, when Wes was in the Air Force and we didn't have any children, Wes was working what we called "mids," the 3:00-11:00 p.m. shift. Each day, I would make our supper at lunchtime, then he'd take either leftovers or a sandwich to work with him, and I'd eat the same at home. Surprisingly, we liked this schedule. He liked it because he got a good meal before he left for work (I wouldn't have sent him to work on just a sandwich!), and I liked it because the major work of the day, in relation to cooking, was done. After he went to work, I could do my own thing, just stopping to get a sandwich when I got hungry. I've also read that it's better to eat lightly in the evenings - breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper - and we did feel better not eating a heavy meal in the evening. There have been several times over the years since then that we've had our big meal in the middle of the day, but only on days when the schedule called for it. I've thought several times lately about changing our supper meal to midday; I think I'll mention it to Wes and see if he wants to relive old times! ;)

6 comments:

Deb said...

Susan, have you seen this lady's blog?

http://makingahouseahome.blogspot.com/

She's a pastor's wife, too, and she just recently posted about eating their main meal at lunch.

Sounds like a good plan for those whose husbands have jobs where they are home mid-day.

Sandra said...

My husband is Air Force and the 3pm to 11pm is usually swings now, and the mids is 11pm to 7am (which I just can't stand lol).

I'm so used to having my routines and schedules all switched around, it's frustrating at times, but it's also taught me to be flexible and pretty much go with the flow :)

Love your blog,
Sandra

Susan said...

Deb, I will run over there and look at her blog - I don't think I've seen it before. You know, there are SO many good blogs out there! Help!

Sandra - you are right - it was swings! It's been about 20 years ago, and I didn't remember it right (I guess I could have asked Wes?!). Thanks for correcting that. I hated the mids shift too. Wes was on mids when I was expecting our first baby. When I first got pregnant, I was so sleepy by about 9 at night, I just couldn't stay awake till he went to work at about 10:30. Poor guy! Thanks for reading my blog!

Anonymous said...

I used to do that too!
When mike worked 3pm to 11pm (or there abouts) I fixed dinner at noon.

Mrs. U said...

Hi Susan!!!
I just read this post and can TOTALLY relate!! We eat our main meal at lunchtime, too!! My husband is a pastor and the church is just next door. We are able to eat our biggest meal of the day at lunchtime. We LOVE it like this and it throws us off to change it around!! LOL!!

His,
Mrs. U
(I just noticed that Deb mentioned my blog- come on over!!)

Susan said...

Mrs. U - I have been over there soaking it up! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm so glad to meet a new blog friend!