Friday, August 11, 2006

Pizza Night


Friday night is Pizza Night at our house. I make my own crust, and I've been experimenting with different topping combinations, at least as much as my husband will eat! Our favorites are pepperoni, Italian sausage, chicken alfredo, bacon cheeseburger, bacon cheddar, ham, cheese . . . Wes and Samuel's absolute favorite is bacon cheeseburger, and Andrew, Beth, and I love the chicken alfredo.

I was looking at the Taste of Home website the other day, at the cooking questions that people have asked, when I read these tips for making a crispy pizza crust that is chewy on the inside:

Make your pizza dough ahead and store it in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight. This allows the dough to relax, making it easier to handle.
Use a hot oven—450ยบ or higher. The high heat will give the crust that crispness you desire.

For a crispy crust and better browning, use a pizza stone. Before preheating the oven, place the stone on an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. If you don’t have a pizza stone, a preheated baking sheet will work. Sprinkle the sheet with a little cornmeal to help slide the dough on and off.

Bake the crust for 5-8 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and add the toppings. Keep in mind that loading the crust with too many toppings will make it soggy. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.


Wes likes my crust just like it is, but I'm going to try a couple of these tips anyway - don't tell him! LOL

Taste of Home is my favorite cooking magazine. I don't have a subscription currently, but I have a big stash of them! ;) I use them all the time to find new recipes and to look at remodelled kitchens. I love that most of the recipes use regular, everyday ingredients; I don't have to shop at a gourmet store to fix them. And almost every recipe I've tried from a TOH magazine has been a winner with my family!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Susan, I agree. TOH has so many recipes that are great ones! No weird ingredients like some cookbooks I've seen. I can read just about any recipe in one of their magazines/cookbooks and know that it will be a winner when we prepare it.

Hannah just fixed a fruit pie (blackberries and nectarines) yesterday from a TOH cookbook that we previewed but didn't end up buying. It turned out delicious; I think she's planning on posting a picture and the recipe soon.

Susan said...

Blackberries are ripe around here, and I'd love to make something yummy with them! Can't wait to see Hannah's recipe!

annewithane65 (Kim) said...

Susan, I love TOH magazines, too. Thanks for sharing the tip on the pizza crust...your toppings sound so yummy! I have a friend who has a wonderful pizza dough recipe. In fact, she invited me and my family over for supper tonight for her wonderful homemade pizza...YUMMY!

Tori said...

I also love TOH, need to subscribe again. :0)
I have never perfected my pizza dough, the family says it's great but I know there's something just not right.
thanks for the tips!