Saturday, August 12, 2006

Monkey Bread



This morning I decided to fix brunch, since we slept in a little later than usual. Wes had to get up at 5:00 to take a couple of teenage boys to the bus station (after he went to bed at 12:30 - new computer game to blame for that), so when he got back home at 6:30, he climbed back into bed and we slept blissfully on. Our brunch menu consisted of bacon, eggs, English muffins, and monkey bread. I usually make a fancier version of monkey bread for Christmas morning brunch using yeast rolls, but today I just used canned biscuits. We also made this on the last morning of camp last week - everyone loves it there too! Probably everyone has made this or at least heard of it, but I'll include the recipe I use - just in case! ;)

Cinnamon/sugar mixture, to taste (most common is 1/2 cup sugar to 2 tsp. cinnamon)
1 stick butter
4 cans refrigerated biscuits

Cut each biscuit into quarters, and shake in cinnamon/sugar mixture. Layer biscuits in bundt pan, pour remaining sugar/cinnamon on top, and drizzle with melted butter (or simply cut butter into little pats and place on top). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Photo courtesy of Northern Star Online

6 comments:

Happymama said...

That looks soooooooo good and so easy to make.
One question...do you have a problem with the dough in the middle not getting quite done? If so, how much longer do you leave it in?

~Kristi

Susan said...

I do usually have to watch it close to the end, to get the dough done but not burned on the outside edges, in 2-5 minutes increments, depending on how done it is (I set the timer for anything I bake because I get sidetracked and forget I have something in there).

Sandra said...

Oh that looks SO yummy, definitely going to try it :)

I just found your blog and love it :)

Mary said...

Thank you for the recipe; sounds so simple I can give that a try for us sometime!

The one time I made monkey bread didn't turn out so well!

Tori said...

Ohhh, it looks delish!! I love monkey bread.

Shereen said...

Wow, that does look so tastey. I've been meaning to try this. Thanks for sharing.