Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Easy Pie Pastry


Years ago, my mother-in-law taught me how to make pie crust. My husband has been eternally grateful! LOL I still don't really enjoy making a pie crust, but many compliments over the years keep me motivated to make them from scratch. Here's the recipe I use, written as I would tell you how to do it!

Pastry for Single Crust Pie

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
4-5 Tablespoons ice water

Mix flour and salt; add shortening and cut in with a fork or pastry cutter till mixture resembles small peas. Add water to a small area of mixture and toss to blend. Move this amount to the side, and continue until all the flour has been moistened. Form into a ball of dough and knead 2 or 3 times to hold together. Roll out on a flour-covered surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.

I've tried other recipes, but nothing comes out as good as this one for me. Don't handle the dough too much, don't add too much flour, and be sure to use ice-cold water. It should turn out nice and flaky!

2 comments:

Susan said...

LOL!! This is identical to my Mom's recipe! It makes really good crusts. Mom always makes it for her homemade chicken pot pies.

Christine said...

As a novice homemaker, I have had a couple tries with pie crusts. (which haven't turned out that well) I shall definitely try your tried and true recipe. Thank you for the added tips at the end.
In Him,
Christine