Monday, July 10, 2006

Changes at Making It Home

I mentioned last week that some changes had taken place at the Making It Home Yahoo Group. Not long after I joined, the format changed to that of a message board with forums. This was a good change, as the number of e-mails generated on the list each day was overwhelming at times. There are tons of forums on this board! There's plenty to learn from other ladies as we each seek to keep our homes. The message board is by membership only, just like the e-mail list, so you'll need to register to get in.

Having said that, I'm finding it hard to get that little oomph that I got from having the e-mail list with the daily reminders. As those no longer arrive, and they're not repeated at the message board, I miss them. I did learn to divide my home into zones and to touch each area of my home each week, which I enjoyed. I've found that I do well working in one zone all week, a la FlyLady, but I also like keeping in touch with my whole house, MIH style. Hence, I am coming up with my own plan, which is the goal of each system anyway! :) So at the risk of looking very fickle (not using one system or the other completely), I'm making my up my own stuff. We'll see how it goes.

So . . . my plan for this week is to stick to my morning and evening routines, and work in my kitchen/dining room/utility closet this week. I'm still focusing on the July habit from FlyLady, swishing and swiping the bathroom each morning as part of my routine. I'll let you know each day what I got done and how things are working out.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I have a subscription to Making It Home Magazine and go to her site but do not understand the difference between joining the Making it Home Yahoo Group and the Message Boards you mentioned. Do you now only need to join the Message boards? Is there any need to now use the Yahoo Groups page? Do you still get daily things or anything from it sent to your computer mail box? I am so thankful for your input on housekeeping and tweeking ideas and methods.

Susan said...

Anna, I'll try to explain the difference . . .

The Yahoo Group is an e-mail list. You subscribe to it, and the members correspond by e-mail. Everyone can see all the messages and read/reply to any that they want to. Right now, nothing is coming through on the Yahoo Groups MIH list. There was a virus, apparently, and so all posting was stopped. I haven't received anything from there since the first of July, when several automated messages were sent to all members.

The message board is a web site, where you can read messages in various subjects and reply to those you would like to. I think the message board is the only thing that is working, as far as interaction among members is concerned. It's very well-organized, with lots of members.

Thanks so much for reading. I hope to continue to be a help, even with all my rambling around!

Anna in KS said...

I too was on the MIH e-group and have joined the message board, but don't care for the format as well as I did the e-group. I miss the reminders and challenges too. Also I don't always remember to go check the board, where as e-mails were in my inbox *S*. I do enjoy your blog, though and find it very encouraging! Keepn up the good work! By the way the MIH E-group has been disabled last I checked. Noone can post any messages and nothing is availabel for members to read/view.

Mrs.B. said...

As you find what works for you with mixing the two I hope you'll share it with the rest of us. (o:

Mary said...

Yes please share, I can use all the help I can get! :)

Tori said...

Sounds like your using what you already know to improve YOU.

I need to stay away from here, I keep getting convicted from your posts. *Ü*