Saturday, June 17, 2006

You've Got to Try This Soup!

I seem to be posting a lot of recipes lately, but I've been trying more new ones. When I find one that's really good, I want to share it! I made Chicken Wild Rice Soup tonight. I took one bite and said, "Ohhhh! This is good!" Wes just looked at me and said, "Mmm hmmm." He was very serious. When he says Mmmm hmmm and looks serious, you know it's good. He said next time double it. So there you have it, straight from the horse's man's mouth.

If it's hot where you are right now, you might wait for a rainy day. This is a thick, creamy, comforting soup, perfect for a rainy day. On the other hand, it doesn't take long to make (doesn't simmer on the stove all day), so you could whip it up in the evening or maybe put all but the milk and cornstarch in and let it simmer in the crockpot. Put the milk in at the last and let it thicken. I made a pan of cornbread to go with it.

Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Taken from Taste of Home April/May 2006

1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1-1/4 cups chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
6 tablespoons sliced green onions

Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting butter. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute chicken, mushrooms, onions, and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.

Add the prepared rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and evaporated milk until smooth; stir into rice mixture.

Return the mixture to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Garnish with green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2 1/2 quarts).

2 comments:

Tori said...

Well it sounds so good. I don't know if I can get the tarragon and evap. milk here and it's a bit too hot to eat soup now but I'm going to write it down for a cooler day.

Susan said...

I couldn't find tarragon here, either. Don't know why, but anyway, I left it out and it was fine. I figured it would be too hot in most places.