Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Keeping Food on the Table

It seems like all I do here lately is make sure I have a menu and go shopping for food! Today, Wes and I drove across the US/Canada border to shop at a Wal Mart Supercenter. It's hard to believe, but it's actually much cheaper to travel 2 hours to buy food, even with the high cost of gas! We do this about once every 6-8 weeks, and we've seen some savings on our grocery bill. It does make that weekly shopping trip a bit less time-consuming too. Today I stocked up on things like canned goods, pasta, blocks of cheese, boxes of cereal, and frozen chicken breasts. These things are significantly more expensive here, especially the cheese, cereal, and chicken. Tomorrow I'll go and get fresh produce, milk, and bread for the week. Here are my meal plans for the week:

Wednesday:
B: Oatmeal pancakes
L: Grilled cheese sandwiches
S: Homemade beans & franks, fried potatoes, coleslaw

Thursday:
B: Egg and cheese on English muffin
L: Chicken soup
S: Manicotti, green beans, corn, salad

Friday:
B: Muffins, oatmeal (me)
L: Sandwiches
S: Tacos, salad, rice

Saturday:
B: Cereal
L: Leftoers
S: Chicken Wild Rice soup, homemade bread

Sunday:
B: Turkey sausage biscuits
L: Lasagna, corn, peas, rolls
S: Grilled cheese

Monday:
B: Oatmeal
L: Sandwiches
S: Stir-fry chicken, veggies, rice

Tuesday:
B: Egg, bacon, cheese on English muffin
L: Mac & cheese
S: Pigs in a blanket (hot dog in homemade rolls), cheese fries, carrots

2 comments:

Mrs Blythe said...

I am trying to be more 'planned' with my meals these days. I'm also updating my household binder too :o)

Tori said...

Oh it sounds good. Sure can tell your a Texas-gal! Bring on the fried taters!