Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Corners of My Home

I've seen Corners of My Home mentioned on other blogs, but I've never participated because I didn't know exactly what it was. I still don't know exactly what it is, but I love seeing bits and pieces of others' homes, so I want to participate. It seems to be simply sharing corners of your home that you enjoy or that have things with a special meaning to you. There is a Corners of My Home group on Flickr which has over 3,000 images; I like to browse there and see how others decorate their homes and make comfy spaces for themselves and their families.

I'll start with this. This is the end of my cabinets in my kitchen, facing the dining room. The clock was a birthday gift from Andrew in 2004. It has special meaning to me because he had saved his own money, for the first time ever, to buy me a gift. He knew I liked apples, so he bought me this clock. We were getting ready to move here to Vancouver, so I saved it till we got here. The little shelf with drawers, below the clock, is one that I found when we were traveling to raise support for our ministry. It's a wooden shelf with metal drawers, with apple shapes cut out in the drawers. To the left, on the shelf, is a sheep; it was given to me as a Secret Sister gift from a lady in our home church in Ft. Worth. It's made of pewter and says "Every blessing is heaven sent." I love the sentiment, and it often reminds me of the lady who gave it to me. The little hurricane lamp on the right is about 3 or 4 inches tall. I found it at a thrift store for $1.00. I love hurricane lamps, and this one tickled my fancy because it's so little! It even has a wick in it!

Do you have a corner in your home that you can tell us about? I'd love to see it!

7 comments:

Tori said...

Very cute Susan,
I like the little shelf. I may have to try this one. And thanks for the link to the flickr thinggy.

Happymama said...

Hi Susan! I enjoyed this post and I'll be thinking of something to maybe share at some point.

Love ya,
Kristi

deb said...

Susan, I've just recently started seeing the Corner of my Home posts on some blogs, too...and like you, didn't really know what it was all about. I guess it's as simple as that! A corner of your home!

I'm going to join in and try to find a corner of my home to post (altho I might have to clean it up a little first!). LOL :)

deb said...

Oh, I also meant to say that I like your apple clock and shelf. Apples are probably one thing that I've never decorated with, altho a friend of mine has tons of apple decor in her kitchen. Very neat collectible.

Lisa said...

I really like your clock and shelf together. That's such an unusual shelf with the metal drawers. I love it. Your kitchen looks so neat. Makes me want to get rid of some stuff here. :)

Tammy said...

I have that very clock! Only I bought it for myself. =)

Mrs.B. said...

Your little 'corner' is lovely! What a neat and tidy looking kitchen. I, too, love the shelf with the tin drawers.