Saturday, April 29, 2006

What I Did This Week

For three evenings this week, I pulled out my sewing machine and tried to make a purse that I found a free pattern for on the web. It was at Joann's Fabrics' website, but I can't find the link for it now. It's called Vintage Fabric Handbag, if anyone wants to search for it. I searched and searched, but couldn't find it again. Anyway, the directions weren't very clear on the measurements and stitching, so I ended up making three different purses before I hit on what I think will be the right measurements to make this purse look really good. I wanted to share the finished product with you.I had this fabric in my stash. As one big piece, it's horrible, but it made a really cute purse. The lining is a lime green print that I had left over from some culottes I made for Beth a couple of years ago. I think I want to make those top corners just a bit wider, and then it'll look like I want it to. I also think I'll use a stiff interfacing to make the purse more sturdy. This one is very floppy. I want to make this as a gift for someone, but in a vintage-look fabric. What do you think?

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Here's the website: purse.

I LOVE it, Susan! I wish they had a pattern to print. I still have this bookmarked, from when you first showed me, and I'm going to make one for myself...one of these days!

deb said...

Susan, I like it very much, and with vintage fabric it will be really neat!

Are you familiar with this site:

http://simplethings7.blogspot.com/

It's the pocketbook business that Randi started (she's the online quilt teacher Hannah and I had).

Thought you could look at those pictures, and she what she's done.

I LOVE pocketbooks, but carry only one and never change it out! LOL It used to be my mom's! If I ever do change it out, I switch to a black cloth one, which I got from my sister's yard sale years ago! :)
Is that pitiful, or what?! LOL

Susan said...

Thank you for the link, Tammy! I wonder why I couldn't find it? I looked through the whole list of their projects, and it wasn't there.

Deb, I had seen Randi's site when she first started it, but I didn't bookmark it the first time. I'm so glad you mentioned it. I went and looked and I love her bags! My brain is going in circles figuring out how she does them. I'm new to bag-making, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it. Thanks!

jennifer said...

I have always wanted to learn how to sew, but just never have gotten around to it. I knew I should've taken Home Ec in High School!