Friday, April 28, 2006

Touching Our Homes With Love

I really glean so much from Cat of Making It Home. She usually posts things each week that I need especially at that time, and this week was no exception. A couple of days ago, she asked this question:
When we go about our daily tasks Ladies, are we doing it heartily or from our hearts? I look at everything I touch in my home and do within the walls as personally "touching" it with love.

When I'm doing my daily work, do I look at the jobs I do as loving my home (and in the long run, my family), or do I see it as something I have to do in order to get to something else? I have to admit, most of the time, my work is done with an eye on the clock, so that I can move on to something more exciting or pleasurable, such as reading, sewing, or cross stitching - or dare I say it, blogging or surfing the web!

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that many Christian homemaking blogs I visited had Proverbs 31:27 as a theme verse, which in the King James Version says:
She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

What I noticed was that many of these blogs used a different version of the Bible, the most common of which translated the last phrase as "does not suffer the consequences of laziness" or pretty close to that. Now, that's a good application; we do indeed reap the consequences of laziness and failure to plan as stress, chaos (FlyLady says that's Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!), messes, and all manner of disorder in our homes, lives, and emotions. Don't ask how I know this! ;)

Because I use the KJV (King James Version), I wanted to look in my concordance and see if these translations were accurate. What I found made my heart sink (because it convicted me!). "Eateth" means to partake of or participate in, figuratively or literally. Since we can't literally eat laziness, I take that to be the figurative meaning. Then I looked up idleness. Oh my! The concordance said indolence. I wasn't clear on that meaning, so I looked that up in my dictionary. To be indolent is to dislike or avoid work! Zing! That was the arrow of the Holy Spirit piercing my heart!

Many, many times, the reason things don't get done in my home is simply because I don't want to do them. The Proverbs 31 woman doesn't partake of laziness - she is willing to work, and she does the jobs that she needs to do when she has planned to do them. The KJV goes straight to the heart, doesn't it? Seems like everything in life comes back to the heart. Am I willing to work? Do I avoid work whenever I can? Making a home is work. It takes planning your work and working your plan. To avoid something today simply adds more work another day, perpetuating an endless cycle that never gets done . . . because I avoid it to start with.

I have a renewed purpose this week. I've asked the Lord to forgive me for not being willing to work. I've asked Him to give me a willing heart for work. And then Cat asked us if we see our work as loving our homes! LOL I pray that you too will have a renewed heart, willing to work, willing to love your home. Our flesh is weak, but God is our strength in weakness, and we can work heartily with His help.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This was such a blessing- thank you!!