Wednesday, April 26, 2006

No Beans!

Edited to make a correction - I originally posted in the recipe 1/3 cup oatmeal. It should say 1/3 cup cornmeal. Sorry about that!

You guessed it. I forgot the beans again. Instead, tonight we had Pigs in a Blanket - hot dogs wrapped in rolls - potatoes, and pork and beans. When I make the pigs, I use homemade dough for the rolls, and today I tried a Cornmeal Roll recipe for the first time. You make a kind of gooey base of water, cornmeal, oil, and salt, then add yeast dissolved in warm water, eggs, and flour. Knead, let rise, then shape, rise again, and bake. For the pigs, I rolled the dough into a circle, cut it into 12 wedge shapes, then laid a half slice of cheese on the wedge and rolled up a hot dog from the wide end of the roll to the tip. I placed them seam-side down, let them rise for about 30 minutes, then baked at 350 for about 15 minutes. My family loved them! They are very light and tender. I only had 10 hot dogs, and the recipe makes 24 rolls, so I made the rest of the wedges into crescent rolls and baked them for our supper tomorrow night - which I promise will be BEANS.

For the potatoes, I made what Wes and I used to call Little Taters. You can tell we're really dignified city folks, can't you? I peel and dice several potatoes - tonight I used 6 medium ones, but I should have used more - then boil them for just 5 minutes or so, just enough to soften them a little. Drain them, and fry them in a small amount of hot oil. They turn out crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside - another favorite for our family, although I don't fry too often anymore.

Cornmeal Rolls
Taken from Taste of Home, December/January 1997, p. 17

2-1/4 cups warm water (110-115 degrees F), divided
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
2 eggs
5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Melted butter or margarine
Additional cornmeal

In a saucepan, combine 1-3/4 cups water, cornmeal, sugar, oil, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils, about 9-11 minutes. Cool at room temperature to 120-130 degrees F. Place in a mixing bowl. Dissolve yeast in remaining water; add to cornmeal mixture. Add eggs and mix well. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Punch dough down. Shape into 24 balls. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with butter and sprinkle with cornmeal. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen

3 comments:

Mrs. Wilt said...

YUMMM! I think I will have to try these- I am sure Christopher would love them!

deb said...

Susan, should the 1/3 cup of oatmeal be cornmeal? Is that a typo or is it really oatmeal?

Susan said...

Deb, you're right - it should be cornmeal. Don't know why I said oatmeal! Thanks!