Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Adding Beauty

My friend Tammy wrote a great blog entry today, and I wanted to share it with you. She wrote about how she's been realizing that beauty is something we have to work at a bit to enjoy. Here's a snippet of what she had to say:
It has dawned on me that not only must I enjoy the beauty God gives me, I must make myself do so. No, I do not mean that I need to force myself to enjoy His goodness. I mean that in each day I need to clear space in my heart, in my mind, in my home and relish the little things that come my way. How can I truly enjoy a cup of tea in the midst of clutter? Sitting in a clean room, sipping a cup of tea: that is beauty. Sitting down to a lovingly-prepared dinner with my husband: that is beauty. No dishes in the sink: that is beauty! Beauty comes in all shapes and forms in our lives. But do you see that before enjoying beauty comes work?

Isn't that so true?! But how hard is it to realize that we have to work in order to get that nice, clean room to sit in and enjoy our tea? Or that we have to work to get that nice meal on the table? I know that I love to imagine myself doing all sorts of things, then when it comes down to doing them, I settle for less than my dreams because I don't want to put the effort into them. Tammy has encouraged me today to not only envision the beauty I'd like to see in my home, but also to get up and work to make it happen! You can read the rest of her article here. Thanks, Tammy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't been to your blog in a while, but was very inspired by Tammy's words. Make that effort, even if no one else notices or appreciates it! Thanks!
Janet