Wednesday, March 01, 2006

That Utitlity Closet

Ok. Our utility closet is our stash-and-dash hideaway. If we don't know what to do with something - put it in the utility closet! If it's a tool - put it in the utility closet! Crafts? School supplies? Cleaning supplies? The utility closet! When we needed a pantry for the extra food - the utility closet was our best bet! Something had to be done. So earlier this week I tackled the dreaded dungeon . . .



As you can see, it was a mess. Food, craft supplies, tools, all shoved wherever we could fit them. I was convinced this job would take hours! But I set my timer for 15 minutes at a time, and it took me just 1 hour to get this all straightened out! Working in 15-minute increments kept me focused. I did have some things to deal with in the hallway, but those took another 15-30 minutes (I forgot to set the timer!), and it was all done. Here is the finished result:



There's another area to the right, and the large shelving unit to the right was re-organized also. Those are in a pretty tight space and were hard to get a good picture.

The nicest thing of all is that my husband took me out and bought me a stacking bin on casters for my cardmaking supplies! I had been keeping them in various containers, and it was not a joy to get all of them out and put them all back every time Beth or I wanted to make a few cards. I told Wes this very sweetly, and he, being the tenderhearted, compassionate man that he is, let me buy an organizer. Now it sits to the side in our nice, neat closet (see pic above), and I can easily roll it in and out when I feel the need to craft!

4 comments:

deb said...

Susan, I'm just getting a chance to catch up on my blog reading and enjoyed reading all of yours that I missed when I was away.

I like your blue cart for card making supplies! I have something similar for my scrapbooking, and it works great.

Also, if you are a ribbon, bow, used-wrapping-paper fanatic like I am, those carts come in great to use as drawers for all those gift-giving supplies: gift bags, scissors, tape, and curling ribbons so everything you need for a gift is in one place.

p.s. (thanks for the special surprise correspondence I had waiting for me when I arrived home! It surely cheered me to hear from a kindred spirit after my week away! I LOVED it!!!)

Susan said...

I had a cart similar to it in Ft. Worth, and guess where it is now? In Ft. Worth!!! We had most of our stuff stored at our church right before we moved up here, and there was a flash flood one day. Wes moved most of our stuff out of the water, but my bin and our little china cabinet were up on pallets in the storage room, so he left them in there. When we loaded our stuff onto the moving truck, he forgot to check the room again, since most of it was in the front of the building. So those two things were left. Much of my sewing stuff was left in the bin while we moved, and I plan to get the things out when we're there in May. The bin will have to stay though, because I don't want the expense of shipping it. Someone will probably get a cute little country china cabinet too! :)

Anyway . . . I'm glad my letter was waiting for you when you got home. I'll have to do it again sometime! ;)

FrequentReader said...

I'm glad to see your pantry does NOT have a toilet in it. When I was in college some friends rented a house with a toilet in the pantry, and I thought it was disgusting. :)

Tammy said...

Wow! What a difference! Looks great!!!