Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Stash

Here's my stash of food that I worked on today. It was really easy and didn't take long at all. I bought 5 bags of frozen chicken, and I needed 2 of those cooked and shredded to make 4 different meals. So this morning I set them on low in the crockpot and let them cook all day.



As the chicken breasts were getting started, I shredded 2 pounds of mozzarella cheese and 1 pound of cheddar. We have homemade pizza on Fridays. I have enough for 4 pizzas of mozzarella, and 4 more of mozzarella and cheddar mixed, plus a little mozzarella left over for a couple of lasagna recipes.



After supper tonight, I got the chicken out, shredded it, and let it cool enough to handle it. There's enough shredded chicken for 4 meals!


This is the first time I've done anything even remotely resembling once-a-month cooking. My only freezer is the one on top of my fridge, and it's a small fridge and freezer at that. So I have to be selective in what I get that needs to be frozen. Thankfully, bags of shredded cheese and shredded chicken lay flat . . . but my freezer's full for now. I think it will feel great to just pull out what I need for the day and have it already partially done. Especially the cheese - I hate to shred cheese! It's cheaper to buy it by the block and shred it myself, or I'd just buy shredded to start with.

4 comments:

Paralee said...

Just wondering.. Do you put anything in the crockpot with the chicken? Any liquids or seasoning? Thanks.

Susan said...

I just added water about halfway up the sides. I didn't put any seasoning in - we'll see how that turned out! If it's too bland, I'll add seasonings next time.

Carolyn said...

how do you shread chicken??

Susan said...

Carolyn, I use two forks to pull the chicken and shred it. You could chop it up with a knife if you wanted to. It shreds very easily with the forks, though.