Tuesday, March 21, 2006

It's Kitchen Week

I don't know if that's good or bad. My kitchen is basically clean, but it could use some polishing up. I did do some decorating last week, just a touch here and there, and I want to do more this week. The focus, though, is on decluttering. I've taken before pics, and I've already posted some after pics here, here, and here. So this week I simply need to continue decluttering. Right. Easier said than done!

Today I cleaned out the fridge and wiped down the inside, including the crisper bins; wiped all my cabinet fronts, stove hood and top, microwave, and dishwasher. This afternoon I'm going to choose one drawer and one cabinet to declutter. I also have mopping the floor scheduled, but that could wait another day or two, with just wiping up drips and spills.

When I pulled out the crisper bins this morning, I found salad veggies and a couple of fruits that need to be used today. I'll make a salad for supper - not too hard to figure out. I have some strawberries and grapes. I'm going to use a box of cheesecake pudding and make parfaits of pudding and the strawberries. The grapes? I don't know! I'll probably just put them in a bowl and tell everyone to eat 'em up.

Supper tonight is meatballs in brown gravy served over mashed potatoes. I'll fix some green beans, corn, salad, and biscuits to go with them. We eat pretty basic food around here - not much gourmet going on! Meatballs and gravy is one of my family's favorite meals. Sometimes I'll fix rice or noodles with it, and almost always biscuits. I've fixed it for new moms when I've taken a meal to the house, and they've always loved it. I think that's because it's simple and hearty, and there aren't any ingredients that people don't like. For my meatballs, I use 1 1/2-2 pounds of ground beef, a cup of bread crumbs, a teaspoon of onion powder, and an egg. Mix it all together and form into 1-inch meatballs. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or till no more pink remains, then add them to brown gravy. Very simple.

No comments: