Sunday, February 26, 2006

I Have to Tell You

I just have to tell you what a SHE (Sidetracked Home Executive) I still am. It seems that no matter how hard I try to stay organized, something will eventually go wonky on me. Take today, for instance.

My husband and I are planning a stocking-up trip down to the nearest Wal Mart Supercenter in the US on Tuesday. We do this occasionally to try to stretch out the money. So last week, doing my grocery shopping was just a matter of getting a few things to tide us over the weekend. We were having our first ladies' meeting at church on Saturday, so Friday night Wes and I stopped at the produce market to get the fruit for the fruit salad I wanted to make Saturday. I told him I'd go back on Saturday afternoon to get my fruits and veggies for the weekend, that I just wanted to grab the fruit without having to worry with the rest of it right then. Well, last night about 9:00, I realized I didn't go to the produce market yesterday, and as a result, I had no potatoes. We were having chicken potpie for dinner today, and we like potatoes and carrots in it. Wes just had to laugh. Actually I don't think he was laughing in merriment as much as disbelief that I had AGAIN forgotten something at the store.

Next thing I realized I didn't have was flour. You have to have flour to make the biscuits to go on top of the potpie. Well, I had enough to do that, but there was not one grain of flour left in the entire house! Then I looked in the freezer for the corn that Wes had bought at the store when he went for me on Friday afternoon. It wasn't there! I went up and asked him about it, and he said he must have gotten sidetracked (!) at the store and forgot to go back and get the corn. Since I hadn't bought any fresh veggies yesterday, I didn't have the broccoli to go with the potpie either - I like broccoli with chicken dishes. Sooooo . . . we stopped at the grocery store on the way home from church - something we haven't had to do in ages - and I ran in and bought potatoes, broccoli, flour, and corn.

But that's not all! Because I had been so busy with our ladies' meeting yesterday, I didn't wash any clothes. Yep, it's a big pile up there now, because I didn't get more than one load done Friday, and that was towels. This morning, I went into Wes's study to give him our customary Sunday-morning-in-the-office kiss (nothing special, just he gets up first on Sunday, so I go in and say good morning when I get up), and he is sitting there in a t-shirt that's too small for him! He's lost weight, but not that much yet! It had been the only t-shirt in his drawer this morning - it belongs to a man who visited with us last summer and left it here by mistake. Wes wasn't angry with me, but he wasn't really thrilled to be squished up in this t-shirt either. So I said, "Do you want me to wash some underwear so you can have a t-shirt?" Duh! Of course he did! How was the man to preach in a tight t-shirt? So for the first time in ages (that sounds vaguely familiar) I washed an emergency load of clothes on Sunday morning. It's been so long since I've had to do that. I don't miss it!

So you see, although I've come a long way from the home(mess)maker I was, I still have not arrived. I probably won't ever arrive. My SHE-ness will see to that.

No comments: