Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I Already Do the New Habit!

The new habit for November is menu planning. I already do that! I've done it for about 20 years now, ever since my dh went into the Air Force and we had a tiny little paycheck! LOL Believe me, I wouldn't know where to start shopping if I didn't have a menu and shopping list every week. When Wes was in the AF, we got paid on the 1st and 15th of every month, so my menu and shopping was for 2 weeks at a time. I'd love to get to one month at a time - and just grab perishables once a week or so.

I used to only plan for dinners, then gradually I added the other two meals for the day, and now I plan 3 meals and 3 snacks for each day (for myself, because I have diabetes). As I've begun eating healthy snacks, I've noticed that my kids are sometimes eating them with me. And I'm eating and feeling so much better! By planning each meal and snack, I'm sure that I have the foods that Wes and the kids like in addition to the foods that I need to stay healthy.

What I'm going to do tomorrow will be new for me. The store where I shop is offering a certain amount off your grocery bill if you spend a minimum amount. I'm not going to tell you that minimum, because I don't want to scare you! LOL (Food is very expensive here, and no matter how much I plan, the grocery bill is never as low as I was used to in Texas) Last week the store had a deal where you could spend a minimum amount and get a $25.00 gift card to their store. So what I'm going to do this week is buy the minimum to get the amount off our order, then use the $25.00 gift card from last week, and still get our groceries for about the same price we usually do for one week! I'll be buying the equivalent of 1/4 more of a week's groceries by doing this. I'm excited; this is giving me the chance to stock up a little without spending more money!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Ok, you hear it coming.
*groan*moan*complain.

Does the new habit really apply to me?
I always cook but I don't ever have a menu.

Susan said...

If you can buy everything you need for the week (or whatever length of time) without breaking your budget or having to run to the store for that little something you forgot, then I say more power to you! LOL I just don't think that way. I do have a BO friend who laughs at me for making my menus and lists, but she is SO organized that she can shop - and get fantastic deals, too - and cook with no problems.

Have you ever tried making a menu?

Julie said...

hi, Susan! Love this blog!

Mary said...

I never have tried.
Well...I am trying now!
Looks like it will cost me MORE money in the long run. LOL!

I very rarely run to the store for that "last little something"

Welp..here's to attempting to make a menu...ACK!

Susan said...

LOL, Mary! If you can save money by NOT making a list, I'm all for you!