Monday, November 14, 2005

Getting Ready to Travel

I printed out a copy of FlyLady's Packing Control Journal for getting ready to take a trip. I made extra copies of the personal packing list and the bathroom bag list. The kids will be staying at my sister's, while Wes and I are staying at my dad's, so we need two bathroom bags, and we'll each have our own suitcases (except for Wes and me). I've marked each person's page with what they need, and I'll give them to each one on Saturday (we leave Monday). I've also started my shopping list for this week, adding things we'll need for the trip such as an extra bottle of body wash, razors, deodorant . . . things that I might forget in the rush of making my regular grocery list on Wednesday. I have a master grocery list in Word, so it's easy to print out and mark as I go through the week. This is the calmest I've ever been before a trip, and we traveled for 2 1/2 years for our ministry! LOL I did better than I would have without FlyLady, but not as well as for this trip. We're all getting excited now - one week and counting!

8 comments:

Mary said...

Well congrats on your together-ness!

Tammy said...

It sounds like you are well-prepared indeed! I didn't do well at preparing in advance for our trip this week. I did laundry all evening last night! As soon as the dryer was finished, another load went right in...I did 7 loads last night! My last load finished at 1:30 a.m. I'm functioning on 5 hours of sleep, not very fun!

Susan said...

Oh, Tammy, bless your heart! I know how it is to work on laundry like that. I hope you can get some rest sometime during your trip.

Anonymous said...

Susan, I "stumbled" upon your site going sideways from another. I hope you have a very restful break. Pastors' families are a lot like Doctors' families (trust me!) Thank you for directions to The Gracious Home. When you come back, can you tell me what a "blog" is. I don't think I am one!#%&* but may be compelled to become one in order to get this to you!! God Bless. Aussie

Anonymous said...

I wasn't being shady - I just wasn't sure about BLOG territory! - I must lead a very protected life!!! :)

Mary said...

(((anon)))

Deb said...

Susan, sounds like you are getting all set to travel! Good for you!

A few years ago my husband gave me the L.L. Bean extra-large size (which actually I wouldn't consider too large at all) of their hang-up travel bag for cosmetic supplies, etc. (approx $49). I keep it loaded at all times with everything I need on a trip. It is great because I never need to pack any of that stuff. It stays packed.

If I ever get an emergency call from my mom who lives 3 hrs away, then all I have to do is grab some clothes for another bag. With the exception of my hair dryer, everything else is ready to go. (I don't keep an extra dryer and/or rollers for the packed bag...just extra seconds of everything else.)

Susan, I can't tell you what a lifesaver this bag has been--grab it and go. If you only take one trip a year, then maybe some supplies in your bag would get old. But if you take a weekend trip here or there, it's a real blessing to have that part of the packing done.

I hope you have a great trip to SC. Have fun and enjoy a few days without having to cook, clean, do laundry, or FLY!!! :)

Susan said...

Anonymous, a blog is what you're reading right now! It's short for "web log", an online diary. You just shorten it to "blog" and there you go!

I'm so glad you stopped by, and I hope my blog is an encouragement. I also have just an everyday blog about our family and the things we're doing. You can click on my name at the top of this message, next to my picture, and it will take you to my profile, where you will find a link to both of my blogs, this one and my everyday one. God bless!