Saturday, October 01, 2005

Pizza Dough

Deb asked for my pizza dough recipe. This is the one I've always made; any others I've tried never turn out right! I found it in a Parade magazine in the Sunday paper about 10 years ago. I don't even remember the name of the recipe now, but I memorized the ingredients pretty quickly.

Pizza Dough

1 packet active dry yeast (I use bulk yeast, just a tad over 1 tablespoon for one packet)
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour (can use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water; let set 15 minutes, until foamy. Combine flour and salt; pour yeast mixture in and stir till mixture forms a soft dough and you can no longer stir it. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead till the dough is moderately stiff and smooth. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top of dough. Cover and let rise till double, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and let rest 10 minutes. Roll out to fit pizza pans, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake in 400 degree oven till cheese is bubbling and crust is lightly browned.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks, Susan, for posting the recipe you use. After comparing, ours almost seems the same--just a little more flour in mine. I never let the dough rise as it seems to do fine just putting it in the pizza pan as is. I'm wondering if rising would make it taste differently? and better? lighter maybe? Maybe I should try that.

Our pans are pretty huge--16 inch ones! And we have some leftovers. But that's no problem.

Thanks for posting yours! Maybe we just got some folks hungry enough to try some homemade pizza!

Susan said...

The rising might make it lighter, Deb. Ours always turns out more bready. I might try it sometime without rising and see if I can get a good thin crust. I'm diabetic, so the bready one isn't real good for me - but I love it! LOL

I use Pampered Chef pizza stones, one 13 inch and one 16 inch.

Eliza said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like you found this one the way I found the pumpkin pie recipe I use each year that everyone raves about!