Saturday, October 22, 2005

How I Spend My Time

This week was a disaster. Well, not any major disasters happened; it was actually a very exciting week. Just the whole week was a disaster as far as the house is concerned. I was "determined" to do well and keep up with my routines this week, but I didn't. Life went on at a frantic pace and the house was one of the casualties.

So here I am, on a Saturday night, looking at the week ahead and trying to figure out how I'm going to salvage the house. And I know that I'll just do like everyone else does . . . get out my control journal, dust it off, and jump back in with both feet. This week should be pretty much back to normal, so I shouldn't have too much distracting me from working on our home.

Shouldn't have . . . except for the computer. I've thought a lot about the time I spend on the computer. I find myself clicking on my favorites menu many times just to find something else to look at online, not to really do something that is important or productive. I'm finding that my heart is growing discontent with so much internet time, especially when I take a hard look at how much time I spend online doing basically nothing. I know that I've mentioned this before, but the longer I think on it the more convinced I am that I need to cut back on computer time and look around to see - really see - my home and family. I've enjoyed being able to stay at home with my children all these years, but have I really been at home? Or have I been like the busybody women that Paul warns Timothy about in I Timothy 5:13, the ones who are " . . . idle, wandering about from house to house . . . ?" The remedy for that is found in the next verse - marry, bear children, guide the house . . .

My wandering about hasn't been physically going to my friends' houses and chatting the day away, but it might as well be. We all meet at our internet gathering place, or at the e-mailbox, or truly at each other's blog houses. And there's nothing wrong with visiting and chatting and learning from each other, encouraging each other, especially concerning our homes. But I have come to the point that I have to trim it down. I haven't timed it to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that I can check my e-mail, check my favorite message board, and read my favorite blogs within about 20 minutes at the beginning of the day. So that's a start - set the timer for 20 minutes and then get up and do something productive when the time is up. Then I think I need to have a definite time to check all those things again maybe toward the end of the morning, and again in the afternoon. Maybe a time to write (I really enjoy writing my blogs!), and a time to chat (I've gotten close to some friends through IM, and most of my correspondence with my parents is through IM).

My husband is always telling me that balance is the key. So I'm going to be finding my personal balance for online time in the coming week. Wes has already balanced our TV time, and I'm so glad he did. We are such creatures of habit, aren't we?! You watch a certain show once, then again, and before you know it, you have to watch that show. Not so! I'm so grateful that my dh saw our tendency and fixed it. How easy it is to waste our time!

Well, that's my little soap box for today! LOL I didn't intend to go that direction when I started. That's just the way my heart went.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Susan, such a good post. I have been evaluating my time online, and this week I have decided to limit my internet "fun" time drastically. Like you said, it's all about balance. I haven't been very balanced lately!

Susan said...

Just don't forget to stop by! LOL You know my heart on this, and you know that I'm behind you 100%. God bless you!