Tuesday, September 27, 2005

To Answer a Question

Carolyn asked:

I just have to know....... you clean your toilet every day????????


Yes and no! I don't swish it every day, no. FlyLady suggests having some cleaner poured into your brush holder so that you can just take the brush and swish your toilet every day. With a baby in the house, though, I wouldn't do that! She calls it a "swish and swipe" of the bathroom, so that's what I call it to, just for the sake of having a name for it. What I do every day is wipe down the sink with Formula 409 and a paper towel, and do the same to the toilet. I brush the toilet using toilet cleaner on Mondays, and if it needs more during the week, it only takes a minute or two to swish it real fast.

I first got the idea to swipe the bathroom every day from Don Aslett in his book Is There Life After Housework? He said it would take 3 minutes, tops, to wipe down the sink and toilet every day, and that keeps your bathroom shining. At the time, I had two little boys who didn't have very good aim, so I gave it a try. He was right! Now the kids rotate each week swiping their bathroom and the powder room downstairs, and I swipe my ensuite bathroom. All the baths stay clean, and I deep clean once a month, when each bath is part of the zone for the week.

2 comments:

flute said...

FlyLady suggests having some cleaner poured into your brush holder so that you can just take the brush and swish your toilet every day. With a baby in the house, though, I wouldn't do that!

I use water & vinegar in mine. I do leave it in the brush. I have an almost 4 year old :)

Susan said...

Oh, that's a good idea! I never even thought of vinegar and water. Thanks for sharing, flute!