Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sunday, Day of Rest

Sunday is traditionally the day of rest. It's true, I don't do regular housework on Sunday other than making the bed, fixing meals, and making sure the dishes are done (the kids' job). No laundry or zone cleaning or home blessing on Sunday. But Sundays aren't idle days in this pastor's home!

Sunday starts at the same time my weekdays do - 6:30 a.m. Wes gets up at 6:00 to go over his sermon once more. We eat breakfast at 8:30, then leave for church by 10:00. We have one Sunday morning service, at 10:45, and tonight we begin our Sunday evening services at 5:30.

I grew up eating a big Sunday dinner, so that's what I make every week! It's usually a crockpot meal so that I can come home and get it on the table quickly. After dinner Wes and I will sometimes take a nap or he'll study some more - just whatever we feel like doing. After church on Sunday night we'll have something light for supper and just relax.

For Sunday being a day of rest, I sure am tired on Sunday night! I think it has to do with the fact that I play the piano, teach Sunday school, cook meals, and wear a smile and try to encourage others all day - then I'm wiped out by Sunday night. So even though it's not what most would call a day of rest, it's full of activity that we don't do every day, making it a "rest" from the routine of everyday life, a day of exclusively serving the Lord. And isn't that what the Sabbath was in the Bible? A day set aside from the busyness of the week just to serve the Lord. And although it's busy and tiring, I love it! I can't imagine any other life than that of the ministry, and I am thankful that the Lord has blessed us with the joy of serving Him!

No comments: