Friday, September 23, 2005

Motivation Has Left the Building

My get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went! I'm having a horrible time staying motivated to stick to my routines. I don't know exactly why that is, but I see it as My Pattern. This is what I've done in the past - do well for a few weeks, then crash and burn simply by doing nothing. Since I recognize it this time, I'm trying to just do my routines without thinking about them. Put one foot in front of the other. Just do it. Do the next thing.

It's not easy to keep doing what's right when it's not exciting or particularly rewarding. I like to take the easy way, but I don't want to take the easy way. Kind of like "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Boy, is my flesh ever weak!

So what to do? Look around and see what needs to be done, make a list, then do the first thing . . . then do the next thing, and the next thing, until the list is done. Don't think about how long it will take (although most anything I need to do will take less than 15 minutes), or how much you don't want to do it. Set a timer and get off your franny. That's my plan for today!

My list:

Laundry - three loads
Mop the floors - still haven't done that yet
Clean out the fridge - kept putting that off this week
Water the plants
Sweep the patio
Clear my desk - again - school is in full swing
Iron clothes that need it

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace, I love your Blogs...you have such a way of expressing yourself. I feel like we are chatting over a cup of tea.

Susan said...

Oh, thank you! I consider that a great compliment, and I hope you'll stop by again. God bless you!

O Beautiful Mother said...

Hey when I feel that way I sign on to msn. And soon I am blessing my home 15 minutes at a time along with someone else in the province. This happens a couple of times a week or more depending on how things are going. KWIM? Keep up the good work!!