Monday, September 19, 2005

I Have New Food in My Freezer!

I finally got off my franny this afternoon and made some rolls and froze some fresh corn that we bought Friday on a trip out into the country. I've never put away corn before, so this was a first for me, but I love looking at it in my freezer! I also made a batch of rolls and froze 2/3 of the dough to use later. It's already in balls for rolls that I'll take out of the freezer in the morning, put on a greased baking pan, cover with a damp cloth and let rise till supper time. Fresh rolls without the hassle! I may have to do this every week; my family loves fresh yeast rolls.

Here's the recipe for a soup I made yesterday for dinner and we finished off tonight for supper. It's even better reheated!

Potato Minestrone Soup

2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth - I use chicken bouillon granules to equal this amount
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained - I use white kidney beans
1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth - beef buillon granules to equal
2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed - I use 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in small cubes - much better flavor than the frozen hash browns
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic owder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained - I've used spinach, and I've done it without - we like it either way
2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed - I've never used these

I add 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, browned, to make this soup more hearty.

In a slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients and the ground beef. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in the spinach, peas and carrots; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts). Our family of 5 adult-sized people can eat two complete meals off of this with the ground beef added.

No comments: