Thursday, September 01, 2005

Beyond the Basics

I mentioned in the previous post that I feel like I'm really taking care of my family when I go beyond the basics of dishes and sweeping and making the beds. I remember when my children were small and I was developing the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. I felt so overwhelmed; I just knew there was something wrong with me spiritually. My house was a mess, and I very literally could do nothing about it. We began homeschooling right before I found out that I had diabetes, and it was all I could do to get up and stay awake long enough to get the kids started on school each day. I look back on that time and just remember a fog. I was at that point where I couldn't even do the basics.

About 4 months after I was diagnosed, I found FlyLady. I also was beginning to see some improvement in how I felt on a daily basis. It was a couple of years before I found myself feeling really good, due to reactions to medications, poor food choices, and things like that. But with FlyLady, I had found a way that I could get the basics done each day. My husband was so proud of me that he was telling other people how I'd found this lady on the internet that was helping me learn to keep house!

That was over 5 years ago. In those 5 years, our family did much ministry-related traveling, so FlyLady helped with the constant packing and unpacking, living in various places each month, sometimes several places each week! But I had the basics down: a morning routine, an evening routine, keeping dishes clean and beds made.

Now I've been here in Canada for one year. It's time to get beyond those basics and get those little extra things that I felt I never had "time" for - like cleaning under the washer and dryer (believe it or not, I was never taught anywhere along the way that I needed to clean under my appliances)! So that's how I have come to be so delighted in being able to do the extras, to go that extra little mile for myself and my family.

I told the long story about my struggle with the basics because of illness and travel so that it would clear that I've dealt with barely getting by physically and/or emotionally. But I've come a long way. I'm able to do more now. I have the tools - routines, missions, zone cleaning, decluttering - to do more, so that's why I'm thrilled to be doing it. You can too!

No comments: