Monday, August 01, 2005

You Are the Director

I loved FlyLady's message about getting ready to go back to school! She said some things that really rang true with me. My favorite thing she said was: YOU are the director! How often we forget that! As we go, so go our homes. If I'm inconsistent in caring for my home, my children are inconsistent. If I skip my routines, my children will not keep their routines. If I'm grouchy, my children we be grouchy. We set the tone for our homes. Have you ever heard the saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy?"

Let's face it: as wives and mothers, we are the directors of our homes. As such, we have to accept that responsibility and just do the right thing. We need to learn to be more efficient in our work. We need to learn routines. We need to put on a happy face and do our work diligently and cheerfully. Is that hypocritical? I don't think so! We become what we practice, so if we practice cheerfulness, we will become cheerful. We get what we give - if we give joy, we will receive joy. So to put on a happy face is not hypocritical; it's giving joy to our family, forgetting ourselves in order to minister to our loved ones.

Being the director means getting up ahead of our families so that we are ready to face the day. It means planning and working our plans in order for our daily activities to run smoothly. It means putting myself aside for now and doing what needs to be done instead of what I want to do - my time will come later in the day.

As directors, we also need to be the adults and let the children know that this is how things are going to be in our home. We will pick up after ourselves. We will have routines. We will be sweet with each other. We don't have to be tyrants, just leaders. Set the limits, set the tone, be the leader. Do the right thing, not just the easy thing!

No comments: