Saturday, August 27, 2005

Play Time

I loved FlyLady's essay on Play Time yesterday! She is so right when she says this:

Our biggest problem is that we don't pick up after ourselves
and we just want to go play all the time.

If FlyLady wrote a whole essay about this, then I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to play but doesn't like to put things away! I love to sew, scrapbook, make cards, play the piano (lots of books and sheet music), cook . . . but when it comes to cleanup time, I really do usually say, "I'll just leave this out; I'm not finished yet." That teaches your children to leave things a mess too. I hear it from them all the time when I tell them to put something away: but I'm not finished yet.

In the kitchen, I've learned that to control my messy tendencies, I have to focus on one thing at a time. When I'm making biscuits, I make them up and then put away the flour, shortening, salt, and baking powder before I start with the next thing I'm making. I used to just work on all of it at once, then have this huge mess to clean up (I still do this if I get behind and have to hurry). Everything still gets done at the right time, and the kitchen is much easier to clean up if I do it as I go.

This week I'm going to concentrate on putting away one thing before I go to the next. Put away my book instead of laying it on the coffee table; put away the cardmaking supplies instead of leaving them till the next morning (on the dining room table, no less); put away the iron and ironing board instead of leaving it there because I'll just need it again in a couple of days (how crazy is THAT? LOL). Keep the focus on one thing at a time!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

OH that statement is talking about me! Ouch!